Welcome to The Fugitive Muse!

I created this blog with a dual purpose in mind. Firstly: as a diary of the song-writing experience so that any budding songwriters out there might gain an insight into this unique creative process. I don't claim to be the best, but I hope at the very least a fellow musician will read it with a sense that they are not alone in thinking how frustrating songwriting can be sometimes!

Secondly, this blog is an attempt to pull myself out of the post-graduation funk that I imagine many of my peers are also wallowing in right now. When I was making my graduation film, Innocence (innocencefilm.blogspot.com), I found that having a blog motivated me enough to actually create things to put on it. In this case, music. Enjoy!

Sarah Coloso Gillespie
19 July 2011.

P.S. Some of my previous attempts can be found at www.myspace.com/sarahcoloso (apologies for the out-of-date information, my MySpace is officially broken).

Monday 1 August 2011

Pointers...

Since my previous post, I got to thinking about the meaning behind that rhyming couplet plucked from the dusty corners of my subconscious. A biblical reference... and bugs. Hmm...

I got the sense that I was being "pointed" in a certain lyrical direction by this, so I continued my write-the-first-thing-that-comes-into-your-head exercise, whilst intermittently consulting the Holy Bible, Sam Harris' "Letter to a Christian Nation," and numerous articles on the Norway massacre. The result was several sprawling pages of... mostly crap, but there was the occasional nugget in there that could be prised out, and formed into something that vaguely resembled a verse.

This is it so far:

All are parasites

Feasting on the host

Father, Son and Holy Ghost


Take them while they're young

Teach them how to hate

Teach them how to hold a gun


We dug an earthen grave

And buried reason deep

Though she tried to fight

She soon fell fast asleep

We filled it up again

And marked it with a cross

And never paused to contemplate

The weight of what we'd lost


---


I don't think the lyrics will necessarily occur in that order - but it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment